Situated on the west shore of Bannow Bay in Co. Wexford, Tintern Abbey was one of the most powerful Cistercian foundations in the South East until the Dissolution of the Monasteries in 1536. In 1200 William Marshal, Earl of Pembroke, set sail for Ireland on his first visit as Lord of Leinster. Threatened with shipwreck, he vowed to found an abbey wherever he could safely land. On reaching the safety of Bannow Bay, he redeemed his vow bequeathing about 9000 acres of land for a Cistercian abbey. Consequently, Tintern Abbey, sited on a gently south-facing slope overlooking Tintern stream was built. Once established, the abbey was colonised by monks from the Cistercian abbey at Tintern in Monmouthshire, Wales, of which Marshal was also a patron.
After the Dissolution of the Monasteries, Tintern Abbey and its lands were granted to Anthony Colclough from Staffordshire, an officer in the army of Henry VIII. The Colclough family extensively modified the abbey church. In the 18th century, Sir Vesey Colclough built many of the fine battlements which can be seen around the abbey today. In the 1790s, John Colclough converted part of the abbey into a residence. He also built a flour mill close to the bridge.
The final member of the Colclough family to live at Tintern was Lucy Marie Biddulph Colclough who left in 1959, the abbey was they taken into government care. Conservation works started in the early 1980s and exposed many features of the original Cistercian abbey.
Location: 16km south of New Ross off the R734 road or 29km from Wexford off the Wexford to Ballyhack road R733. Bus Route(s): Contact Bus Eireann, Travel Centre 01 8366111
Opening Hours 2017
6th April – 1st November
10.00 to 17.00
Last admission 4.15pm
Max No: 40 – 45
Duration: 45 minutes
Child /Student €3